By Mihir
What is most common about Sachin Tendulkar, Separamadu Lasith Malinga, and Shane Warne? These people are cricketers (people who play Cricket) who play for their national teams. Cricket is a bat-and-ball sport with 11 people on each team. There are two teams. One is fielding and one is batting.
Let me tell you about the field. The stadium is oval- shaped. In the center, there is a dirt area with a line on each side; the line is called the crease. There are also 6 wicket stumps, and there are 3 on each side of the dirt area. On the outer side of the field there is a boundary. On the fielding team, there is a bowler (like a pitcher in baseball), nine fielders, and a wicketkeeper (like a catcher). There is also a batting team. The batting team has two batsmen on the field at one time. One of them is batting and the other one, the runner, is at the other wicket. The batter's job is to prevent getting out and hit as many runs as possible. To get the batters out, the fielding team must do one of the following: 1. The batter guards the wicket and tries to prevent the ball from hitting the wicket stumps. If the ball hits the wicket, the batter's out. This is called bowled. 2. Just like baseball, if the fielding team catches the ball without the ball bouncing on the ground, the batter's out. 3.If the ball hits the batter's leg and his leg is lined up with the stumps, and the ball is headed for the wicket, the batter is out. This is known as lbw.4.If the batter is running to the base, and the bowler/wicketkeeper gets the ball and knocks the stump down before the batter gets to the base, this is run out, and the batsman is out.5.If the batter swings the bat back and hits the stumps with his bat while doing so, this is hit wicket, and this is out.6.If the batter uses his hand to protect the stumps in any way, he is out.7. If the batsmen get in the way of a fielder, he is out. Now to the batting team -To hit a run, the batter hits the ball, and both batter and runner must get to the other stumps before they get run out. If the batter hits the ball and it goes past the boundary in the stadium, this is four runs. If the ball is hit out of the park, it is six runs. Unlike baseball, there are no strikes, so the batsmen could go on forever if they don't get out. Bowlers take turns bowling, and one turn is known as an over, which consists of six balls. The team which scores the most runs is the winner. If the team fielding gets the last person out, and the fielding team has more runs, the fielding team wins. If the batting team gets more runs than the fielding team, the batting team wins. If the batting team wins, we see how many people aren't out. If team a wins and they have 5 players who aren't out, you'll say they won by 5 wickets. I hope you'll like to play cricket and get good at it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!




16 comments:
I played cricket over Winter break and I got awesome at bowling and batting. When I was on the bowling team, I got two consecutive wickets(that means two in a row.) In batting, I usually hit for the place where nobody's fielding. Did I tell you about HAT TRICKS? A hat trick is when you get 3 consecutive wickets. I have got one of those before. Stumping is another way to get out. The wicketkeeper will get the ball and knock down the stumps. He can't get you out if you're in the crease.
I have only played cricket once when Coach Justin taught us back in 3rd grade. It was actually pretty fun cause it was something like baseball. I am not really good at it but I can still play. The rules for Cricket are a little confusing but you will get it soon enough.
I played cricket a lot of times. My weakness is wicket keeper. I play cricket with my brother and my dad. My favorite players are Sachin Tendulkar, Sunil Gabaskar, and this Australian person named Micheal Clarke. My favorite cricket team is Sahara India, Sri Lanka, and Australia
I heard that cricket is simalar to baseball. I never played cricket and don't know a single rule about it. When I was in second grade, the p.e teacher showed me a cricket bat.It was so huge! I wish to play cricket someday.
I have played cricket before, but I just like to hit the ball. My dad used to play cricket every Saturday. I found a cricket ball of his and it was very hard. I also saw his cricket bats. They were huge and really heavy. I tried to hit a tennis ball with it, but I kept on missing and the bat kept slipping out of my hand. Then I got a Comcast bat and tried to hit a ball with that. I couldn't because it was too small for me.
Cricket seems like a fun sport but I still like baseball more. Baseball and Cricket are very alike except baseball is a little harder. For example, when you hit it over the fence in any place except for the sidelines and the back, you can get at most six points. In baseball, you must hit in a certain range over the fence to get a home run(at most four runs). Another thing different about these two sports is that in baseball, you can steal bases but in cricket, you cannot because there is just two wickets and a few creases. Probably this weekend, I'll go to school to play cricket with my dad, brother, and a few friends! Nice post Mihir!
I lOvE CRICKET! It is the awesomest sport. I love Sachin Tendulkar(Just like Mihir), Kumar Sangakarra, and Gautam Gambhir. I love Sachin because he is a young, sporty, and very energetic player he made it all the way to 175 runs for the team Sahara. Kumar Sangakarra is awesome! When they had a match against Sahara he scored 278 runs, and then got bowled and it hit the stumps a got out. Thought the Sahara team still won 761-458.Finally, Gautam Gambhir was a fantastic player he once scored 239 runs! Last But Not Least, my favorite character is..... da da da da ISHAAN SHARMA! In one of the games he scored 6 sixes in an over ( by the way an over is six balls) And if you get that much it is pretty good
Malinga is credited with being the first bowler to get 4 wickets in 4 balls. You can see it on youtube. He has a different style of bowling than others. He has a rare round-arm action. Another person I have to tell you about is Kapil Dev, a cricketer who used to be on the India Cricket Team. Now he's a soldier. He is an all-rounder, which means he's good at everything. He won the world cup trophy for India back in 1983.He was the captain of the India Team and is a cricket legend.Nowadays the team is lead by Mahendra Singh Dhoni, who rules in wicketkeeping.
Sachin still plays and has scored more than 34,000 runs in his career.
I remeber when I was in 2-3 that Coach Justin taught us Cricket. It was actually pretty fun. I like it when I get to be batter. There was someone on our team which was really good at batting because she played tennis a lot. After I turned into a Rockhopper "penguin",
I didn't really play cricket anymore.
I played cricket a lot of times and liked it very much. I am best at bowling, but I am not that good at wicket keeper though. Cricket is very similar to baseball except you hold the bat differently and you bowl differently. The rules are also different. The highest score you can get in one over (six balls) is 36. Each point is called a run. For example it will be called 36 runs.
After reading how to play cricket I think its kind of confusing. Also I think its similar to baseball. I think cricket was fun when we played it in P.E., but sadly we didn't get to play the real game I think it was kind of fun. Even though I think everything about cricket is really confusing I still want to play.
Just like Jonathan I have only played cricket with coach Justin in third grade. I don't know much about cricket, but it sounds interesting. Im okay at batting but Im not the best. I hope to get better one day!
I have only played cricket once or twice in third grade with Coach Justin. I like cricket because it is related to baseball (which I like.) Other than that, I dont know much about playing cricket.
After hearing what Mihir said about Cricket, I want go see a game or try playing. I have played once in second grade because Coach Justin taught it to us in P.E. I was not very good at any of the positions but it was fun. Since then, I have never played. Maybe I'll go back to playing.
I also once saw a cricket game in London when I was seven. It was India v/s England. My cousins and I took autographs of some of the players. All in all, I think Cricket is an interesting game.
I have only played cricket a few times before. I actually kind of like it because it is related to baseball. I didn't know that the batter could get out seven ways, I don't think that it is actually to the batter's team. besides how do they hit the ball out of the park?????????????
Another blog post?? Ok you beat me!
Well I'm not THE BEST cricket player but im OK. I played sometimes in India and it was pretty fun!
Post a Comment