Subscribe to Weekly Reminders via RSS feed

Sunday, March 30, 2008

Nidhi's Post

April Fools' Day By: Nidhi I hope you all enjoy April Fools Day because it is coming up! I am sure you all like to play tricks on people but have you ever wondered about its history? April Fools Day is known for practical joking and celebrated on the first of April. I never knew but with other customs, there is a time limit; anyone attempting a trick after midday is taunted:"April Fool is gone and past,You're the biggest fool at last". April Fools Day is also called All Fools Day. In France, if a trick is played on you are a Poisson d'avril (April Fish), in England you're a noodle, in Scotland you're an April gowk (cuckoo or fool) and in America you're just an April Fool! The origins of April Fools Day are unknown, although various theories have been proposed. In 1582, Pope Gregory XIII ordered a new calendar (the Gregorian Calendar) to replace the old Julian Calendar. The new calendar called for New Year's Day to be celebrated on Jan. 1. France became the first country to switch from the Julian to the Gregorian calendar. This switch meant, among other things, that the beginning of the year was moved from the end of March to January 1. Those who failed to keep up with the change, who stubbornly clung to the old calendar system and continued to celebrate the New Year during the week that fell between March 25th and April 1st, had various jokes played on them. For instance, pranksters would secretly stick paper fish to their backs. That is why in France if you fall for a trick you're a Poisson d'avril. Here is another story about April Fools Day. British legends link April Fools Day to the town of Gotham, the legendary town of fools located in Nottinghamshire. According to the legend, it was traditional in the 13th century for any road that the King traveled over to become public property. The citizens of Gotham, not wishing to lose their main road, spread a false story to stop King John from passing through their town. When the King learned of their trickery, he sent a messenger to demand that they explain their actions. But when the messenger arrived in Gotham he found the town was full of insane people who were engaged in foolish activities such as drowning fish or attempting to cage birds in roofless fences (though, of course, their foolery was all an act). The King fell for the ruse and declared the town too foolish to authorize punishment. April Fools Day has supposedly celebrates this tradition. Do you know any other theory of April Fools Day's origin? Or a April Fools Day story? Have a happy April Fools Day! Hope you don't get fooled!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like your post Nidhi! Rumor has it that one April Fools day, an old man offered a king some treats. The king took the cookies and ate them all. The next year the king was gone! He was never seen again.

Anonymous said...

Hey Nidhi, Great post! I have a story to tell you about something I did on April Fools Day. It happened in first grade and I had told my teacher that she had lost an earring. It happened to be her favorite pair of earrings so she got really mad and told my parents. After that I never told another joke again.

Anonymous said...

Nidhi, great post! I never knew all those fascinating facts about April Fools Day!In the morning, I played a trick on my mom. I hid under my bed and when my mom came to my room to wake me up, I jumped up and startled my mom. Also, Tanvi and I tricked Devleena by telling her that there was language arts homework!I hope I don't get tricked!!!

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed your great post Nidhi. It was a intersting to know about a theory behind April Fools Day. In India we also celebrate April Fools Day. In fact last year when my brother woke me up on April Fools Day, he asked me that why my hair was red. I was scared and ran to the bathroom. When I looked in the mirror and saw nothing was there. He screamed April fool! Believe me, I really got tricked that time but I learnt my lesson. Never take it easy on April Fools Day and always check your calender.

Julie Page Ales said...

Hi Nidhi --

I liked your post, too! You know, I tried to find out why the French use the fish in Poisson d'avril -- and I could not find a clear reason why they do this or what for! I guess it's just one of those strange customs. I would love to find out why they chose a fish. Why not a dog or a cat? Intriguing!

Au revoir, Mme. Ales

Anonymous said...

I really liked your post Nidhi. On April Fools Day!! I fooled my friend by inviting her to a fake Birthday party and when she came over she was all dressed up with a present in her hand. I shouted out April Fools! She got really mad at me but we still had a fun play day.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all the comments! Did you know that the most common trick for April Fools Day is to set the clock back an hour? Then sit back and wait for the clock to ring! I enjoyed hearing your stories.

Anonymous said...

On April Fools Day I switched my dad socks so that when he wore them to his work he had two different socks on. Also, I drew small dots on my face with a red washable marker and told my mom that I had the chicken pox. My mom did not believe me. Good thing the marker was washable! I did not play a trick on my brother this year. There is no point of trying to trick my brother he never gets tricked by me.