Use the story "The Tortoise and the Solar Plant" on pg. 6 of your TFK to answer this question. Should three solar-powered plants be built in the desert tortoises' habitat? Be specific when explaining your point of view.
Subscribe to Weekly Reminders via RSS feed
Wednesday, January 20, 2010
The Tortoise and the Solar Plant
Posted by
Mrs. Yu
at
6:20 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

32 comments:
I think people shouldn't install the solar panels because the panels might harm the tortoises. Besides, the tortoises might break the solar panels. If I were a tortoise and some weird creature installed something in my habitat or home, I wouldn't feel good.
I think that the project is a good idea, but the tortoise are very rare and the project will kill them. I don't think that the people in charge of the project should move the tortoise because that place is their home and people can't just move them only because of a project. I think that they should move the project to somewhere else and keep the tortoise where they are... in their home.
I think they shouldn't build the solar-powered plants where the desert tortoises live. First of all, the desert tortoises are endangered. By building the solar-powered plants where they live, they may become extinct. I think they shouldn't make them at all or they can just make them somewhere else even if the solar-powered could generate 142,000 homes
I think they should not do that because it is the tortes es habitat and it should remain there. It's similar to putting a cactus plant in a tropical rain forest. Imagine yourself in the tortoises shoes. Would you like the idea of being moved from your home for a project or have a project of plants right next to you in your house? No, I don't think so. I personally think they should not do the project or do it someplace else.
I think BrightSource shouldn't build the three
solar-power plants in the tortoises habitat because you will destroy their habitat. Once you destroy a habitat, the animals are killed or leave the area and will never come back. However, you can build a solar-power plant in any area in the desert. So.. they could possibly build one power plant and leave an area for tortoises, and then move the other two power plant to another area.
No, because the desert tortoise is a rare species and it's habitat is only in that area. If they build a solar-powered plat there, there would be no more desert tortoise anymore, and then the scientist won't be able to study the desert tortoise anymore. They can build the solar-powered plant somewhere away from the desert tortoise habitat.
Today, the world is facing global warming, so it's important to start recycling and to find new, renewable energy sources that don't have a harmful effect on our environment. Solar energy is a very efficient way to produce electricity, especially in a desert where the weather is often sunny. The desert is also the home of the desert tortoise. This species of tortoise lives where three solar energy plants were originally planned to build.
I think the tortoise should be kept in a zoo and the solar plants built because California needs energy and in the recession, jobs are also needed. Also, The tortoises are in very few numbers, so it shouldn't hurt the environment when you move the tortoises or keep them in captivity.
But as you look at it, if you move the tortoises to some other location, the desert environment might shatter because one factor that keeps the desert ecosystem thriving is gone. Other animals that are the tortoises' diets could multiply out of control, or its predators could die of starvation or compete with other creatures for food. And so, when one domino of the line falls, the other dominoes will topple over too.
Three solar-powered plants should not be built in the habitat of the tortoise because you would kill the tortoise. Think about you being a tortoise and being killed by people who want to build solar plants in your habitat. Would you as a tortoise like it? If I were a tortoise I would not like it. Thinking about others is polite and I don't see why they could not just build the solar plants somwhere else.
I think that the solar-powered plants should be built. But before they build it, they should first take all of the tortoises and put them in a refuge. That way, the solar-powered plants would not harm any of the tortoises and many people will be helped in many ways. However, if they do not save the tortoises by putting them in a refuge, then I think the solar-powered plants should not be built. That's because because, animals are just as important as humans so even though you are saving many people, you are killing animals as well. Then, sooner or later that species will become extinct.
Yes,because tortoises are animals and there living. We have food then so should them so it will be equal. That is why I think tortoises should get plants so they can eat like them. I, also think they should have it, since it is going to ruin there health and we are going to be guilty.
I agree with the Arizona biologist, Ileene Anderson that it is a good project that is very helpful to the environment and our community, but if we are trying to safe wildlife I wouldn't take the tortoises' home away. Think of it as if you were the tortoise living on the Mojave Dessert not knowing that your home was going to be taken away. Would you like it? I wouldn't!
On the other hand using renewable and clean energy would be very helpful to the environment and would be saving tons and tons of energy.
I think we should build three solar powered plants in the desert tortoises' habitat because we are facing huge problems like global warming and we need to save the world. I personally think that if we find solar energy then we can use solar energy instead of killing the earth by using coal. Also we can get more energy in the desert because the desert doesn't have much rain a year. Unlike the rain forest or the big city because if we built it here then we won't get lots of energy on rainy days then there might be a energy crisis. Also if we have plenty of energy then the president could focus on more jobs and then they could probably lower down energy prices and the economy might get better again. But we also have to consider the tortoises' we will be taking over their space just like Spain they didn't think they were doing wrong taking over the Natives land and right here we are taking over the tortoises' land. I'm also pretty sure if the three solar powered plant's are a success we will start building more and more then what happens to the tortoises' they lose their land. So I think even though the solar plants are a success we should still build only three.
I think the power plant is a good idea because there would be a lot of energy in California and it is green. The only problem is the tortoise. They got to the desert before us and they live there. Taking them away from their home is just like animals going to your house and saying get out so they can build a shelter.Also people will mast likely us the energy for air conditioning in their houses in the desert.
I do not think that three solar-panel plants should be built in the home of the desert tortoise and that every living animal should have a chance to live the life they want too. Also the three solar-panel plants could hurt the tortoise and we wouldn't want an angry tortoise with us do we? If I was a tortoise and these weird human-like things built three solar-panel plants on my habitat I would try to defend against it.
I think that the solar plants should be built, but I also think that it isn't fair for the tortoises. So if we are going to build the solar plants there, we should build a place that is alike the toroises natural habitat. Then maybe the tortoises would feel more at home and they wouldn't go extinct.
I don't want solar plants because... First of all, the desert tortoise is a endangered species and the desert will be kinda full so the desert tortoises will not have space to build their burrows when the solar plants are there.(95% of the tortoises life is in a burrow.)
Second, It is not fair for the tortoises habitat because it will crowd them up in one place. Finally, I don't want the solar plants to be there because they can disturb the tortoises.
I don't think the solar plant should be built here because the desert tortoises are already endangered in this area. The world is also in global warming risk so if we do this, we are losing more electricity to use. On the other side, this project also gives clean, renewable energy. I agree with that biologist Ileene Anderson. She said, "It's actually a good project. It's just located in the wrong place." I think we should build this project in a different place where there are no endangered animals but the air isn't so good. That way a little animals will die but there are no endangered animals and then the air will also get cleaner. Once an animal gets endangered, they should stop the project there.
I think they should move the solar plants and not the tortoise for a few reasons.One reason is because they could put the solar plants somewhere else where there is more pollution and it is needed. Another reason is because you can't just move tortoise into an environment they're not use to like the zoo. Lastly, I really think they should move the solar plants somewhere else.
My opinion is that we should keep the solar plants. Meanwhile we should also move the tortoises to a different desert, like the Sahara Desert. Moving the tortoises shouldn't be a big problem. If this way doesn't work then you build the solar plants in a different desert and leave the tortoises. Even through this may cost a lot of money, to my opinion I think it is worth it.
I think the solar plants are great ideas. It will give many jobs( we are in a small Depression right now), it will provide cheap energy, and it will give clean energy(There is Global Warming and pollution right now).
The bad part is it's right in the place of the tortoises' only home.We don't want to wipe out the tortoises.
If these tortoises were common, you could just move them. However, these are rare tortoises. There are only two dozen(24)tortoises in the area.
They might die because (maybe) they can only live in the desert. We can't risk that. Or mabye the other extreme will happen. The tortoises might multiply out of control and become a daily menace.
I've heard of people moving foreign plants away to a new place where they have no predators. Then they might threaten natural animals living nearby.
I think the plan should be moved to a different which also has lots of sunlight. That way, the tortoises are safe, the solar plant creates clean, cheap energy, and people will still get jobs.
I think that we should build solar-powered plants because it will provide badly needed jobs in California, but also since there is tortoises living there we should put them in a zoo. If the zoo does not help save the tortoises you should not build solar-powered plants because animals are as important as humans. The tortoises are already endangered so they can be extinct faster if you build solar-powered plants.
I think there should be solar-powered plants near the tortoises habitats. The tortoises are wandering of somewhere looking for a good home. Like Mihir said, there is Global Warming going on these days so we need to recycle and tons more stuff that we really need to do. Like Shrila said, before putting in the solar-powered plants, they should remove the tortoises first so they don't get harmed or anything.
I think that the solar plants should be built because it will help save energy and create more jobs for people. However, I think all the tortioses should be moved to a safe place because they are very rare. otherwise they will soon become extinct! We should not enjoy the energy the Soler plants create if these preciouse are to be killed.
I think the solar power plant will not likely to stop the growth of the tortoises because solar mirrors will not take up the entire land. There are plenty of space in between the mirrors. I think tortoises will be fine. Perhaps, they will be better because now they have a place to hide.
I think that we should install solar power plants because the world is facing global warming and the solar panels will help reduce global warming. The power plant will not necessarily harm the tortoises. The workers just have to be a little careful that they don't scare the tortoises. They can build a wall around the power plant too if they really wanted to keep the tortoises away from it.
I think that they should not install the solar panels because it might harm the tortoises. Also another reason they should not build the solar panels because there are really rare. There are only 24 tortoises in the area. But on the other hand, they could build the solar panels because it will create more jobs. If they agree to install the solar panels, I would reccomend the builders to build it in another place where there are no endangered animals.
People should place the solar panels but further from the tortises. In that way people can install the solar panels and don't harm the tortises at all. If they install it at the tortises' home, they can get killed or harmed. If I was a tortise,I would feel better if they put the solar panels at the other places instead of our home.
BrightSource should build the solar-powered plants if they can do it without harming rhe tortoises. They probably can move them to an area that is suitable for them to live or move build the solar plant farther away from the tortoises. If the tortoises cannot be saved from the solar plant, it should not be built. The solor plant would be very expensive to build and if the tortoise was close to it, they could damage the area and harm themselves, too. Even so, the tortoises were there first so why should we just go in there homes andd start building the three solar plants?
I think the project is a great thing to do but since the tortoises are rare I don't think they should build the power plants on that site because it might harm the tortoises and the they are already rare. There are only two dozen tortoises in the desert! Besides, moving the tortoises can cost up to $25 million. I just don't think it's worth it to spend all that money moving the tortoises to a completely new habitat that they are not used to. They have already adapted to the desert environment and if you move them, other bigger and stronger animals might make them extinct.
I think they shouldn't install three solar panels because it might harm the tortoises. The tortoises would probably be scared and might harm the solar panels. This project may be successful but in my opinion, I think there shouldn't be any solar panels in that area
No, I do not think that they should not position the solar panels. I think they should not install them, since they are rare and they might die. One other reason why I do not want solar panels is because they might break it and the $25 million dollars might be a waist. That is my reason why they should not put solar panels.
I think they should not build the solar plants. This is because the article said that the tortoises were rare, so we wouldn't want to kill them by installing these. Also, thinkhow the tortoise would feel. They might feel uncomfortable with the idea of the solar plants being built. If I were a tortoise, I definetely would! One last thing is that the tortoises habitat should stay where it is. I think they should build it somewhere else.
Post a Comment