Subscribe to Weekly Reminders via RSS feed

Thursday, January 7, 2010

Basketball!

By: Aditya

Have you ever wondered what sport Kobe Bryant and LeBron James played? Of course, its basketball!!! Basketball was invented by a man named James Naismith, who was an instructor in Springfield Massachusetts. In the early times of basketball, players used peach baskets and a soccer ball. Basketball grew popular in the 1970's and the 1980's. The first time I played basketball, I couldn't shoot a basket at all. There are many forms of shooting such as lay ups, jump shots, hook shots, bank shots, free throws, and much more. You could also do slam dunks to score a basket. Slam Dunks are taken right up close to the hoop. Dunks are made when players leap high above their opponents and slam the ball into the hoop. You can use either two hands or single hand to make a dunk. After I got better at shooting, I started practicing lay ups and dunks. There has been many talented players in the NBA such as Kobe Bryant, LeBron James, Shaquille O' Neal, Hakeem Olajuwon, Magic Johnson, Micheal Jordan, Isiah Thomas, Larry Bird, and Yao Ming. There are 82 games in 24 week long season. Have you ever played basketball before? For the ones who have not, are you willing to give it a try? Please tell us!!

24 comments:

** Collette :-P (-: said...

My brother plays basketball, but I don't always.
I don't really want to play basketball because I'm to short and I think shooting the ball is HARD!!!! Also, I sometimes play basketball in my backyard with my brother. My brother sometimes goes easy on me because I am a beginner.

Mihir the sporty guy:) said...

I have played basketball many times before, and it's my 2nd favorite sport(Cricket is #1). My favorite basketball players are Kobe Bryant, LeBron James, Shaq O' Neal, and Micheal Jordan.I like playing the real game of basketball as well as lightning basketball. I can make it from 3 point line, semi, and half court. The team I like best is the L.A. Lakers. Also, you can see Shaquille O'Neal on the comcast commercial. "Shaq's got your back, mmhmm."

Eric the basketball dude:) said...

I have only started playing basketball at the beginning of the year and now I'm pretty good. Even though I am short, shooting the basket is easy for me. I started playing with my dad at the park once in a while. When I shot from 2 pointer, I couldn't even touch the rim. But after practice, I started shooting from all kinds of places like semi. I can shoot from 2 pointer, 3 pointer, semi, and sometimes half court now.

Mahi said...

No, I have never played basketball, but I am interested to play a little. Yes, I am willing to play. Some girls on my street play basketball exept me. I heard about Magic Johnson and Kobe Bryant but I have not heard of LeBron James.

Da Basketball Player (Jonathan) said...

I have played basketball for quite a while, I started when I was in 3rd grade. I am fast so my coach put me as point guard. You usually score points, I am good at lay ups and shooting from 3-pointer line. I enjoy playing basketball and lightning. I can shoot from free throw, semi, half, and even back semi. I can only shoot from back semi if I only use one hand.

Vincent said...

I play basketball at recess and lunch. I play lightning. People shoot from semi-point shots.I go to basketball class every Sunday. The class I take is 1-4 grade. The court is so big! It is bigger than the school's. They have six hoops. I think semi-point is hard. I am also planning to buy a basketball hoop.

raymond said...

I have been playing basketball for only a short time;probably for 2 years. At first, I didn't want to play basketball, but then I finally had the courage to play basketball. From then on, I really liked playing basketball. Now, I'm attending a basketball class. I really like attending the class. It is really fun.

*Clara* said...

My brother played basketball before but now he quit. We have a basketball hoop in our backyard so we could play lightning (with two basketballs) and horse. I like horse because my brother always lets me win so I don't get mad at him.

Lynn =) said...

I have never played basketball before but my brother did when he was in this school. He and some of his friends played basketball almost every day. Sometimes, after school, he made me shoot some hoops. I only like to play games like lightning. I am not really good at basketball. I think it is hard to shoot the ball but it is also fun to mess up.

Aditya the basketball freak said...

Did you know that there was a player named Kareem-Abdul Jabbar who played for the Lakers? His height was 7 foot and 2 inches!!!!!
One time he through a punch in Milwaukee Bucks center Kent Benson and he ended up breaking his own hand. He was fined $5,000 and he was sidelined for the first 2 months in the beginning of the season.

Ishan the soccer dude said...

Hm, although I am not that good at basketball, I do think it's very fun! I love to play lightning and horse! Hopefully I'll get better!

Abhinav said...

I play basketball a lot. It's my favorite sport. I like to play this kind of basketball game called lightning. Coach Justin taught us this game in 2/3. Coach Justin also taught us 21. Sometimes I play 21 which is another basketball game. My favorite player is LeBron James which I already talked about in older posts. I know about Magic Johnson and Michael Jordan too.

[=\**/=] said...

I sometimes play basketball. I don't like playing basketball because I don't understand the rules. Another reason I don't like playing basketball is because I get hurt. Once when someone passed the ball to me and the ball hit my ring finger when my ring finger was straight so my ring finger couldn't move for 15 mins. (This happened twice) I sometimes play basketball with my dad but mostly I play alone. When I play alone I just shoot the ball. My basketball's size is way too big for me.

ZARAH:P :D :P :D :P *HI* said...

Every week(atleast every week) my dad and my brother goes to Eaton Elementary School and play basketball there. At the end when they are done playing, I usually shoot some hoops for like 2 min. or so...

*Soraya* said...

I have played basketball once in P.E.P Other than that, I don't play it that much. I mostly like to play horse in basketball, with all of my friends of course. I have heard of Magic Johnson, Lebron James and Kobe Bryant, the basketball stars. Also, yes, I am willing to play basketball.

Auboni said...

I am not sure if I want to play basketball. I have watched my brother play and it looks pretty hard! But I think I can give it a try. I know two famous basketball stars, one is Kobe Bryant and the other is LeBron James. If I ever play I am gonna need a lot of help on the rules...I think I'll think about it.

Spongebob Bahaha (sidde said...

I LOVE Basketball it is like the best sport ever.

My first favourite player is LeBron James 'cause I like how in the semi-finals the score was 94-96 with 5.8 sec. on the clock the cavs. got the ball and (king)James made for the victory vs. the Orlando Magic.(25 years old)

My Second favourite player is Kobe Bryant because in a game their semi court shot is our back free throw line so when he was playing he ha 1.2 secs. in the 1st quarter and swished(SWISH) right on the buzzer.(28 years old)

My third favorite player is Mo Williams because when he was in the second quarter of semi-finals(same team as James) he swish from the NBA back free throw not the one that Kobe Bryant did, the actual one! it was incredible and he was only 6'3".

My fourth favourite player is Shaq' O Neal because when someone tries to shoot over hims he just puts his hand up a takes it.(He's 38 years old)Shaq is almost retiring from basketball.

My Fifth favorite player is Micheal Jordan because when he was playing his nickname was AIR JORDAN. He was famous for doing shot in an angle in the air and couldn't be blocked.

My last and final favorite player is Da Da Da... Anthony Parker! He is the second besdt 3-point shooter in the Nba, playing for the Denver Nuggets(got poned by La Lakers in Finals for the MBA Championship.

Awesome Post Aditya

Left post forward Jeffrey said...

I have played basketball before, I think it is a really fun sport that I encourage everyone to give it a try. I am in a basketball league called Cupertino Hoops. My position is left post forward. (No offense Aditya, but) there is one thing Aditya didn't mention in the blog and the thing is position. There are five players in the court at a time. On offense, there is the point guard, the left guard, the right guard, the left post forward, and the right post forward. One of the guards would first pass the ball in to the point guard. The point guard is suppose to be the best player on court because the point guard has to bring the ball up the court. The point guard looks for a way to shoot the ball in by passing in or dribbling in. The forwards flash and run so the point guard can easily pass it to them. When the ball is shot the forwards also have another job of rebounding. The guards try to block defenders so the point guard can get through. Sometimes, one guard blocks some defenders while the other one runs near the three-point line and the point guard can pass it to them. and then the guard can shoot. On defense, the same five players turn to different positions. On defense, there is the right guard, the left guard, the left post forward(Or defender), the center, and the right post forward(or defender). The left guard would usually move down to one of the forwards so the point guard could play forward. The taller forward would become center so the offensive left guard would be a forward. The left guards job is to guard the point guard. He tries to make sure that the point guard can't pass it or get past him. The defenders(forwards) job is to guard the same position opponent, only on the offense side. The center's and defenders(forwards) job is to sometimes get the rebound. That is the positions of basketball.

Shrila :) said...

Basketball is one of my favourite sports. But the only thing is that I am not that good at it! I still think its fun though. I used to go to a basketball class but then I stopped. Shooting a basket is really hard for me but I keep practicing. I learned who Kevin Garnett and Kobe Brian is from my brother. He really likes sports like basketball. I think everybody should atleast try to play basketball once before giving it an opinion. -Shrila

Unknown said...

I have never played basketball but after reading what Aditya said I think it has inspired me to play. My sister has played many seasons of basketball. I have watched her games and I enjoy watching her play. I like to shoot hoops before we moved the hoop.I think I might ask my dad to move the hoop back

William said...

I have played basketball since I was five years old. I am really good in basketball but I have to learn to pass to others. Basketball is my top #1 favorite sport. MY favorite players are Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant, Scotte Pippin, and Shaq O'Neal. My favorite team is the Miamie Heats.

Edawrd said...

I love basketball!!!I first started playing in second grade. When I first tried to shoot I hardly even shot to hit the rim! Now I like to play Lighting. To play Lighting you have to be able to shoot quick and accurately. When I first played I got out almost instantly. My favorite player is Kobe Bryant. (But I actually like all basketball players.) Some day I hope to be a great bascketball player.

Nidhi said...

I have played basketball in P.E. before.(if that counts)I like shooting and blocking passes best.(although some of my opponents do not)

By the way could anyone tell me who
[=\**/=] is?

Aaron basketball-lover said...

I have played basketball before and I take basketball classes. I like it a lot because it's like the only sport I am good at. I practice as much as I can in a day. I am tall enough to shoot very far.