Subscribe to Weekly Reminders via RSS feed

Saturday, November 7, 2009

Running Club

By: Ishan Sharma

Hey guys! Hmm…I’ve heard we’ve severely lost some participation in Running Club this year! Is that true? Ouch! That doesn’t sound good! What’s that? You want some identification? What right do I have to tell you to continue Running Club you ask?

Ok I’ll show you my identification badge:

Whoops….wrong one….here’s the real one:

Caption: Sorry I can’t get through a blog post without bragging! By the way the medal is 110 miles!

Why did some of you stop running?

Running is important in many different ways!

Obviously, running is good for your health! Running Club is a perfect way to get ready for future physical practices such as “Mile Club” in Miller and “Lap Derby” in Hyde. P.E. in middle school suddenly gets A LOT harder! Running Club would help you in endurance and speed! Also remember, you guys are the oldest kids on campus and the school leaders! You can set a good example to the younger kids by running, and this would make them and you healthier too!

Running in Running Club helps promote school spirit, too! Who says it has to be a spirit day to show your Portal spirit? Just getting out there and walking on the field shows spirit! Also, there are volunteers spending their precious time just to organize Running Club! If no one is running, what’s the point of volunteering? You can show respect to them by running in Running Club!

Finally, in Running Club, you just don’t run for nothing, you run for ribbons!!!!! I’m really crazy about Running Club ribbons! I don’t stop running, EVER! I also have a lot of ribbons….you do not want to count them! You can do many things with ribbons such as…wearing them, bragging about them, rubbing it in your sister’s face (which is my personal favorite), showing them off, impressing other people with them, and whole lot more! All you have to do is run 20 laps to get a ribbon!

For those Running Club Maniacs out there here is some advice:

-You should never ever sprint, only if you know it’s the last lap

-Pace yourselves, run at the same speed the whole time!

-NEVER stop running!

-Try not to get into homework club on Running Club days

-Volunteering for sweeper or cone-collector boosts you up 1 lap

Ok guys, I’m going to go set some goals for you guys now! If you can pass these goals you will earn the title: “Da Runner”

Ok here are some goals!

Students:

You have to run at least one lap every Running Club day! This will earn you the title of “The Pledger”

You must run at least 7 laps each Running Club Day. Pass this, and you can call yourself “John Henry-running machine”

You must run 10 more miles then what you did last year. You now have the title “Wood Legs”

Make it to 50 miles! You have now earned your stone legs.

Make it to 75 miles! You are: the awesome guy

What’s at 100 miles?? “Da Bombster!”

110 miles: “Steel Legs”

At 120 miles? Congratulations, you beat me! You are “ARunning Legend”

150 miles: Usain Bolt

1 lightyear: God

Ok I’m not going any further!

Teachers:

1 lap each week! That’s all the goals! (I know how busy you guys can get!)

Ok guys, ATLEAST go to Running Club once a week just 1 lap! It’s not that hard! I promise!

Do you guys know any other advice or tips for running? What goals do you have this school year? Do you like pie? Finally, do you know any other activities or hobbies that require a lot of effort and motivation? Ok see ya! I’ll come back and visit!

34 comments:

Soraya said...

I usually go to running club when ever I can. It might be boring to some people, but i'ts also a great opportunity to get together during lunch and talk with your friends. Also, you do'nt HAVE to run, you can just walk. I'm trying to at least get to my blue or purple card this year. (And yes, I do like pie.)

Sabrina said...

At my old scool, we have running program. I did in before fourth grade, but by the time I was in fourth grade, I did not do it much, but I still did a few cards(we have 40 laps per card). We do not have ribbons, we get prizes and otter pops :D. Yes, I like certain types of pie, but not pumpkin.

Abhinav said...

I used to go to running club in 1st grade but then I didn't do running club that often because I usually played other things such as basketball. I was on my gold in 1st grade though. I don't think I'll be part of Portal running club spirit this year because I'm kind of slow.

Shrila said...

I used to not like running club in kinder garden and 1st grade. But then I realized that running club helps a lot of people for Middle School. So this year, (4th grade) I decided to do running club a couple of times. I am on my orange card. But I don't go every single time because sometimes, it is really hot outside and I don't have the power to run. Wow! I can't believe that you ran so much! My goal for this year is to at least reach my blue or purple card. The highest card I have ever gotten is the very beginning of the blue card. And at that time, I was very proud of myself! What do you mean "I like pie!"! That is so random! But I'll answer it anyway. I like some pies but I do not like other pies! Thanks a lot for posting that blog! It really encouraged me of running a lot more this year! -Shrila

Eric said...

Running club is okay but I don't do it very often. I used to do it in 1st and 2nd grade. I don't do it as often because I like to spend my recess playing basketball or wallball. Another reason why I don't really like running club is because sometimes I get stomach By the way, I never tried pie before so I don't know if I like pie.

Mahi I love pie said...

Sometimes I go to running club with my friend. Another sport that repires lots of energy is soccer. In second grade I went to my purple card then I stopped then I started in fourth grade. It is lots of fun. I only go walking even though it says "running club". I only like pumpkin pie.

Aditya :) :] :) said...

I went to running club in second,third, and fourth grade. I don't want to go this year because I am already a good runner and I want to reach some other goals like basketball. In second grade, I finished my purple card. In third grade, I finished my tan card and in 4th grade I finished the 70 mile card. I love pumpkin pie. Nice post Ishan!!!!!!!! :) :]

vincent the runner said...

Of course I go to running club! I go there every time. I am right now on my blue card. I always try to keep pace. I sometimes run with my friends. When I was in 1st grade, I was on my aqua card (60 miles).

rachel rabbit said...

I don't normally go to running club but I try to do it whenever I can. I usually just sit on the lunch tables and chat with my friends, but if I don't have anything to do I will go to running club. I will try to run in running club more. (Yes, I do like pie. APPLE PIE ROCKS!!)

Mrs. Yu said...

Running Club is a great idea and I wish I could have gone more often. Two years ago I was very close to finishing my orange card. Last year I did not even finish my red. Sometimes I could not go because I had to talk to some teachers or students, or getting my work organized for the afternoon. The other times I did not feel motivated to go. Recently, I have been going and tried to finish at least one lap per week. It's not much compared to what my students like Jonathan, Jeffrey, Edward, or Vincent could finish, but it's BETTER LATE THAN NEVER!! Exercising with any kind of sport is great for your body. I especially need more exercise because that's the best way to improve my high blood pressure and blood sugar. Over the weekends, I also either ride my bike or walk for over 45 minutes with my husband. There is another advantage of going to the Running Club (or Walking Club if you prefer to walk only), I get to talk to my students casually, and it can be any topic. Instead of talking to your friends at the lunch tables, why not head out to the open field, and chat while stretching your body? Why are we talking about pie? Is this Ishan's way to make sure we did read his blog carefully? Huh..... Ok, my favorite pie is the blueberry peach pie from Trader Joe. Once Jonathan baked me a cheesecake, and that was super yummy too!! Oh no, after eating some pie, I better go visit Running Club more often! Thanks to Ishan for sharing this great post with us, I feel really inspired by his Running Club spirit! Last but not least, I also miss Omkar from last year, who gave me his 90 miles ribbon as a souvenir. Who knows, one day I might get one myself???

Auboni:) said...

I still sometimes go to running club but usally I am just walking and chatting with my friends. In second grade I was really in to running club, by the end of the year I was on my purple card. Over the years I drifted away. My friends didn't want to run and I followed them. This year I'll try to get on my orange card. Also I do like pie (apple pie is the best!) Great post, I hope the running club spirit continues.

Aaron the running dude said...

I love running club! It is awesome but I don't run a lot and I have other hobbies. I still go to running club for the exercise. I don't really care about the ribbons. I just care about the exercise. I do feel kind of proud of myself when I wear my ribbons. I like apple pie and cherry pie but I don't really like pumpkin pie.

Da Running Legend (Jonathan) said...

I usually do 10 laps per running club day and since the beginning of running club, I am on my pink card now. My goal is to at least finish my 100 mile card. I love pie, apple pie, pumpkin pie with whipped cream and ice cream, peach pie, and blueberry pie. Mmmmmmmmmm. Good. Basketball and soccer takes a lot of motivation because you get really tired quickly and you still have a game to play. Hey people, Ishan didn't include this but eat your lunch because if you don't it isn't good for you. Don't eat too full when you are going to run.

Da Runner(Edward) said...

Of course I go to go to running club. I only started this year. I sometimes like to walk after lunch because if you run after a meal you might get stomach cramp. Right now I am on my yellow card.

puja said...

My goal is to get a purple card. I think I can rech that goal. After all, I finally got started in an orange card! Yes, I like all kinds of pie, but blueberry and pumpkin pie are my favorite. P.S. WHY IN THE WORLD DID YOU ASK ''DO YOU LIKE PIE?'' PIE IS NOT RELATED TO RUNNING CLUB.

raymond the hacker said...

I used to go to running club when I was in second grade. I got to my eighty mile card, so I guess that's good enough. Besides, I think that in P.E. you alrealdy run a lot(like the pacers test). I don't no much tips because I'm not an expert at running(duh). Hmmm... I've never tasted pie so I'm not sure if I like pie..., but I'll be willing to try apple pie at least!

Lynn the pie lover said...

I really want to go to running club now! Before you sent this blog post, I also went, but not too
much. Now I want to get ribbons and
wave it in my brother's face. I always go running club with my friends. We sometines do races by going from one cone to a different cone. It's really fun. I LOVE pie!!
My favorite is apple pie. The highest card I got to was the very beginning of the pink card. Thanks for sending this blog! It really boosted my spirt for running club!

Mihir the spongebob fan:) said...

3.14159 is an interesting number, but let's get to the point. When I was in 2nd grade, I loved running club and I made it to gold with my friends Akshara and Chinmaya. In 3rd, I sorta lost the spirit and I went to blue only. I never did it in 4th, but by your post, Ishan, I'm gonna do it this year. I really think that it's a must for mile club.

Collette :D :P said...

I don't really run that often. I run about once every two weeks, if I can. When I do running club I walk and talk with my friends. I also, do running club on for 15 minutes, then play jump rope or go the library. This year I want to at least try to get to my green ribbon same as last year or even get to my blue ribbon. I LOVE pie..... especially apple, cherry and Pumpkin pie.

siddesh the squid said...

I don't really go to running club cause' I don't really think I need to go. I would like to go next year. I? like pumpkin pie, and apple pie. (: :)

Ishan the blazing bullet (or runner) said...

I'm really happy that a lot of you pledged to run in running club this year! But come on Aditiya! I know you are a good runner, but with Running Club you can be a BETTER runner! Its never too late to start! And don't you really want to walk away from Portal to middle school knowing that you ran? Its your last year!

HAHAHAHAHA Mihir! I loved your comment! By pie, I didn't mean 3.14159265358979323846264338327950288419716939937510....but the actual pie you can eat! Still, it was funny and I am happy about your running club spirit! Everyone else too!

Rakhi said...

I go to running club about once a week. I like it because you get to spend more time exercising as well as talking with your friends and getting to know them more. I like pie, but just as Sabrina said, I don't like pumpkin pie. After reading Ishan's post I think it has motivated me to go to running club more.

Da 100 miler (Jeffrey) said...

I have some advice for all people in the class. Never stop running! Run at least one of the periods every week! We can be more athletic that way. Ishan, if you want to know how much we lost interest this year, only me and Jonathan are participating every four sessions. Last year, I finished on my 80 miles card. In 3rd grade, I finished on my 60 miles card. In 2nd grade, I just did it in the last four months so I finished on my 40 miles card. Can you see the pattern? 40-60-80. The rule is +20! This year my goal is 100 MILES! I hope I reach it.

I love pie. Blueberry, cranberry, apple, and pumpkin are my favorite. Lemon pie is okay. I hate rasperry bie, though.

Clara :D said...

I usually go to running club on every Monday. It is really fun! It is a good time to talk with you friends and hang out or if you like running, then just run and hang out. You don't have to run(just like Soraya said) I am still on my red card but if I keep on running, then I will go to my orange card.... then to my yellow card.... and my green.... and my blue... and so on.(Also, I LOVE pie!!!!)

effort person rebecca said...

Another sport that requires a lot of effort , is gymnastics because at the end of a routine you are tired and you need to use your effort and energy to do a dismount or round off- backhand spring back-hand spring back tuck or something else. If you don't use your effort till the end you will hurt your self from falling. Also I love pie because my dad likes pie and I just love the filing and whip cream.

Justin said...

I usually don't go to running. I run about two to four laps per month.I'm trying to get to my red or orange card this year.Last year I couldn't finish my red card. I kind of like pie.

Arjun R. said...

I use to like to go to running club in first and second grade but then I started to play other things. This year I want to go again though and at least pass the purple card. I think it is also good to do running club because you will be prepared for things like pacers. I love pumpkin pie with whipped cream.

William said...

Another tip on running is don't run after eating because it bad for your digestion system. One of my goal is to finish 70 miles. I like pie even though I barely eat it. Basketball and baseball require a lot of running. Also I hope you come to visit.

Kaytlin* said...

I sometimes go to running club. I go at least one time a week. I used to go to running club a lot but in third grade I got bored. Now I try to go to running club a little more because it is good excercise and many other reasons. Yes, I like many varieties of pies, and my favorite pie is peach.

Zarah said...

I usually go to running club on Friday's with my friends. I sometimes go on Monday's if I am in the mood to. In P.E. we have to do something called the pacers. That is really fun. I am trying to get my green or blue ribbon this year. (And I don't know how pie tastes.)

Nidhi the 6th grader who has no opinion about pie. said...

Where did pie come in all this?

I like running but I don't go to running club anymore. Guess why.
Hopefully it's not to hard to guess.

-Nidhi the 6th grader who has no opinion about pie.

Shreya said...

I actually love pie, especially pumpkin pie and I haven't gone to Running Club in a long time. When it first came out I ran 6 laps in a day. That was a lot for me and I was proud of it. This year I don't really like to run, so I think I only have one punch in my red card. I should be running more often, but I could be either doing running club or playing something else like 4 square.(Which in my opinion more fun.
Another activity that requires a lot of effort and motivation would be soccer. When I'm playing I really want to get the ball into the net so I try to run as hard as I can.

Leanne said...

I used to go to Running club alot when I was in 2nd grade. I only got to 40 miles. After that, I didn't go to Running Club often except for a few laps every week. Now I only rin one or two laps every week now, and, I do not like pie.

Dilip V. said...

I go to running club with my friends when they go. Even though sometimes I still play basket ball(which count as running). I'm going to try my best to go to running club and at least get to my orange card and yes,I do love pie.