Subscribe to Weekly Reminders via RSS feed

Sunday, August 23, 2009

Quest for Life in Space

By: Abhinav

On the occasion of successful repair of the Hubble space telescope to extend its life until 2014, I felt thrilled and amazed about how much the space technology has evolved over the years in space age, taking us into space, and on to moon. We learned a lot more about space. Sometimes, it all looks like a dream for me when watching a starry night sky. But we still don’t know if there is another planet we can live on, a planet with conditions like earth or a planet with life on it. That’s the quest scientists are on, a quest for life in space. Do you feel that there is another planet like Earth? Scientists at NASA sent out probes and rovers to Mars and Venus. With the success of Opportunity and Spirit rovers on Mars (check this link http://www.google.com/mars), the current focus is a human mission to Mars, the first attempt to land on another planet to explore the planet up close.

If we get to land on Mars it will be a greatest achievement for mankind. Do you really think we will be successful about landing on Mars? If we can, what would you do? Do you think The Red Planet (Mars) can be transformed into human habitat?

15 comments:

Nidhi the sixth grader in 1 week said...

I think we may be able to land on Mars in some time. But I think we should land on the moon once since it been at least 5 decades (rounded) since we last did.(That's 2 homophones in 1 sentence!) We should have a "practice" on the Moon or something before we go all the way to Mars.

Aaron the Awesome dude said...

It would be great to have another planet like Earth. Then we could all go there for space school. I think that in the future we might be successful. But you could make some future notes so that when you die your children can be scientists and they could use your notes to help people to land on Mars. I agree that it would be an amazing achievement if we landed on Mars.

Siddesh said...

I heard that they are trying to find living things on Mars. I hope that Mars is a place that is breathable,Has water,and with a population of at least 999,999,999,999 people on the planet. And in addition i wish that there will be other living organisms like plants. I picture my self being on mars with astronauts on Mars. And then suddenly they leave alone I Would jump on a land Rover and and break and make some device to take me back to Earth.

J.E.F.F.R.E.Y. Shakespeare said...

I don't think we will be succesful making the Red Planet(Mars) a planet with life. First, Mars has too much gas and soil so we can't really make some shelter. If we don't have shelter, we can die because Mars weather is not really good. Second, we should not move to Mars because of the weather. Sometimes the weather gets too hot, and sometimes it gets too cold. The weather might let people die because it is always unpredicted. Unless, technology gets improved to better geography and weather, we can't live on Mars

Mihir the spongebob fan said...

Nice post Abhinav!!! By the way remember when the rovers found water ice on Mars? Maybe if humans make Mars warmer, The planet will be suitable for humans, but there is 1 problem. There is too much Co2 on Mars. If humans plant trees on Mars there will be more oxygen. I also think that the Solar System is a cycle. I think Earth was first particles of dust that came together, got transformed into a gas giant, and got to be a planet like Mars. Then it got warmer so life could flourish on Earth. Then Earth maybe will get too hot and become Like Venus. And Venus into Mercury. Who knows what will happen?

Unknown said...

I would be nice to have another
planet like earth so it wouldn't be so crowded everywhere, especially at stores and stuff like that. It would be funny to go to Mars and see people just like us.

Mahi the curious girl said said...

I feel like there is not another place like earth.Or eles scientists 2would reasearch about it.

Ishan the future CEO of NASA (I HOPE) said...

WOW!!!!!! AMAZING POST!!!!!!!!! Write when I saw this I knew I had to reply. Here goes my long speach:
For years I have been very facisnated by the vechicles that mankind has made which gracefully fly the the sky and the glistening cosmos in our ever-expanding universe. I love science but I espcially love aeronautics and astronomy. Recently in 4rth and a half grade I devoloped my obsession wtih astronomy and aeronautics and love to read about it.

Ah, yes. For many years NASA has contributed a ton to aeronautics and astronomy. From making, undestanding, and studying the air foil to making the first plane over Mach 5 then the first man on the moon to future plans for the man on mars NASA has done it all! Yes, I do support the theory that there could be life on other planets. We can never be sure until we explore every edge of the universe!
For a planet like earth to be, the planet has to be in perfect position from a star; not to far and not to close. If the planet was too far, temperatures would be so cold life couldn't form and if its too close, it would be too hot for life to from. Also we need the right type of star. A humongous star near the end of its life wouldn't do nor a tiny compact neutron star which would suck all matter from the planet. The chances of the perfect spacing and star are little but not impossible. Now time for some...Ishan facts!
Did you know...black holes rip through the fabric of time and space; they're gravity is infinite. Since they're gravity is so strong they suck in light so thats why you can't see black holes!
Did you know...the fastest military plane is the SR-71 BlackBird at Mach 3.2
Did you know...Mach 1 is about 750 mph which is the speed of sound
Did you know...its the 400th anneversary of Galileo Galili's telescope
Did you know...space shuttles that last for years run on neclear fission in which they take an unstable atom (like uranium) and fire neutrons at it. More neutrons fly out of the uranium and if there is anotehr uranium atom and if the neutron hits it, it would create a chain reaction
Did you know...I play the drums
Did you know...I like astromony and aeronautics (i bet you do!)
Did you know...When i grow up I want to work at NASA?
Did you know...the universe is expanding
Did you know...the universe could end in black holes swalling up the hole universe
Did you know...Earth could be like mars if we don't stop global warming
Did you know...Our fossil fuels will run out in about 50 years
Did you know...This is my longest blog comment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ok that ends my speech!
(Mrs. Yu please accept this comment because i worked hard on it!)

Aditya said...

I don't think we can land on Mars because there are some problems that we need to face. First of all, there is to much carbon dioxide and we need some trees so that we could have oxygen. Next, I don't think it will be successful because it is hot and there is too much gas.Also there is no shelter which means that humans don't have a place to stay in. By the way nice post Abhinav!!!!!

Leonardo da Vinci (vincent) said...

I feel like there might or might not be another planet like Earth. The ground is filled with red dust. If the dust doesn't go away, People would easily get sick.

We could if the polar caps on Mars can melted then there would be water. We need an atmosphere in order to get air. There is some possibilities that Mars can be another planet to live on. It was possible, I would get a jet pack and fly to Mars, before landing on
the rover and start exploring. Astronauts can make a trip, keep notes and take pictures of how Mars looks on the surface. There are a lot of ice on cliffs of Mars. If all of the ice melted it might go into the canyons and channels. It could also flood places. (End of speech "Quest for life in space.

rachel rabbit said...

I think humans could probably land on Mars...but I dont think that we will find another planet like Earth unless we make some major changes to it, like on Mars humans will need oxygen, water, and shelter instead of just red dust and CO2 nearly everywhere. Maybe astronauts could plant some trees and plants on Mars for oxygen, build some basic sructures for shelter, and somehow melt the ice caps on Mars for water. If we do achieve all those demands for humans to live, then I would definetly want to go to Mars to see what it is like to live on another planet.

Eric the Parrot said...

I think that it would be interesting to have another planet like Earth. Especially Mars since everybody says martians live there. I just hope that if we do live there some day, there will be water,food,oxygen,etc. But if it is possible, I agree it would be a great acheivment.

raymond the roten apple said...

Mars might be someday a planet that has the right conditions to support human life. The problem is there is too much carbon dioxide in Mars' atmosphere. Mihir has a good point. Astronauts can plant trees to let the air fill up with more oxygen but I wonder how the seeds can grow in Mars' soil. Besides Mar's gravity is not as strong as Earth's so we'd have to wear special suits everyday (which would be pretty annoying and uncomfortable).

Puja said...

I heard that sciencists found bacteria on Mars!That means LIFE!However, it will be a long time(BILLIONS of years)before there will be complex beings there,like animals. Still, there is SOME life [on Mars]Why ,I think might even land astronauts on Mars!

Edward the elaphant said...

I think that we have a pretty good chance of getting to Mars because so far scientist have sent about 5 probes to Mars.(including the ones in space) If we did achive it I think it will happen in another 20 years. But we can`t do it if there is no supplies such as:food,water,power source,and other special equipemt. If we really did land on Mars it would be truly AMAZING!!!!!!!