By: Rishita
Hi Room 24! We have been studying Island of the Blue Dolphins in class, but how much do you know about dolphins?
Bottlenose dolphins are really interesting aquatic mammals! Unlike human, they have a very cool way of communicating by making high-pitch whistles, clicks, and using body language.
Bottlenose dolphins are like the acrobats of the sea. They can swim really fast to the surface and then leap out of the water. They do all this just to breathe! They jump about five feet in the air at one time! To do this, dolphins must swim at a speed of twelve miles per hour. That is high for just one dolphin!
Most dolphins go around together in groups called schools, or pods. It’s basically like a herd, with a few males and females grouped together.
Did you know?
1. Bottlenose dolphin is an endangered species.
2. Bottlenose dolphin has its name because its beak is shaped like the neck of a bottle.
3. Dolphins don’t mean to save anyone; they just like to push objects around.
Now that you have read this article, please tell us if you like bottlenose dolphins? Why or why not?
Subscribe to Weekly Reminders via RSS feed
Thursday, February 5, 2009
Bottlenose Dolphins
Posted by
Mrs. Yu
at
9:20 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

9 comments:
I never put much thought into dolphins before. Just like last year when I didn't pay much attention to orca whales. But, when you bring it up Rishita, I start thinking of them a bit more. Anyways, I like dolphins a lot. One Question that I am wondering about: If people know that dolphins don't actually mean to save anyone, how come they get in the news and rewarded? (They do, right?)
Answer soon!!!
Wow! Bottlenose dolphins are so interesting! I like these mammals because they have noses shaped like bottles. I think they get rewarded because they probably accidentally saved someone by pushing away a predator. But anyway, nice post!
I like bottlenose dolphins. I actually liked them before I read your post! I like them because they are the only dolphins I know.=) I once saw 2 dolphins at SeaWorld. They jumped very high over a string and did lots of other cool tricks.
hey you guys! thanks for the comments. Actually, dolphins don't get rewards for saving someone. If they saved someone, it would be by pushing them until they are in shallow water. They don't push predators away. There are also dolphins with spots on them. They are called Atlantic spotted dolphins.Thanks again for the comments guys!
Wow! Bottlenose dolphins are really interesting to learn about!I have never learned about dolphins that much but I do know that they are mammals and they are many different kinds of dolphins.I have to agree wih Jeffrey that I also like dolphins because there noses are shaped like bottles.Nice post anyway Rishita!!
I also like to learn about dolphins and other marine mammals.
Wow!
Nice Job Rishita. I agree dolphins are pretty cool. Did you get to pet a dolphin? I did once. It was so cool. I pet a dolphin it felt like you were touching a rubber-like, smooth surface. Except it was WET! I am actually doing a project right now about Depletion of Natural Resources which kind of ties into global warming and littering. This might be common for some of you but when I was researching, I read that some of the soda rings that sodas come packed in kill thousands of dolphins every year. This happens because, like Rishita said, dolphins like to push things. Some of those rings get stuck around a dolphin's mouth preventing them from opening. Sadly, Dolphins can't eat food and die of hunger. Luckily there are a group of specialists, who go out at sea and help the dolphins. Rishita, could this be a reason why Bottlenose Dophins and other species of dolphins are getting endangered? Anyway, I stumbled on a great article on National Geographic about Bottlenose Dolphins. So, I thought that Room 24 can check it out. I have put the URL at the bottom of my post. I found it really cool! One fact I found really interesting was, that the "bottlenose" mouth that they have gives them the appearance that they are always smiling and look like kind, friendly mammals. I also like looking at the fast fact column.
*Hint: there is an expand for more button; press it to get the complete article*
URL: http://animals.nationalgeographic.com/animals/mammals/bottlenose-dolphin.html
Wow! I never new how interesting a dolphin could be. I can't believe I never researched about bottle nose dolphins before. The part I found most interesting was that some dolphins are also acrobats.
I agree with Shivani 100 percent. Every time I think of an animal, I never really think of it that way.
Love the post Rishita.
Post a Comment