Subscribe to Weekly Reminders via RSS feed

Monday, January 26, 2009

Scott O'Dell

Read about Scott O'Dell, find out what he says about himself at http://scottodell.com/lifebks.html Have you ever thought of becoming a writer one day? Have you wondered what it takes to become one? Tell us what you think after reading his story.

28 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was surprised that Mr. O'Dell did not even finish college because he wrote so many good books. I also like how he is honest about himself in telling his past.

Anonymous said...

I think Scott O'Dell was a very extraordinary man.You can tell he's very adventurous, and very creative.His favorite genre seems to be historical fiction, because he learned about how early people lived, and made many stories about them.

Anonymous said...

I was surprised that the Island of the Blue Dolphin was based on a true story. I was also puzzled that he had been to many schools because usually you stay in about 1-2 schools in college but he had been to 4 colleges. I did not know that he had went out on sea with his friends longing for adventure.

Anonymous said...

I have never thought about being an author. I also don't really want to be one. Some things that do surprise me though is that the Island of the Blue Dolphin is based on a true story.

Anonymous said...

I was surprised that Scott O'Dell would admit that he did not finish college.Also, he admitted that he used to smoke.
I'm angry that the little girl was so rude.

Anonymous said...

I was amazed because he didn't finish college.He was still a very bright student.

Anonymous said...

I am surprised that Scott O'Dell was the brightest student in his high school and yet he never graduated from college. I am also surprised that he was a chain smoker.

Anonymous said...

I was kind of surprised that
Mr. O'Dell was a chain smoker. He didn't seem like one at all. I don't understand how the typewriter is part of the habit of smoking. I really like it that he tells his childhood past and how his imagination made a log into a fine canoe.

Anonymous said...

I was really astonished to find out that he kept moving from school to school because most of his books are really interesting and Island of the Blue Dolphin I enjoy some parts but when Ramo died because Ramo is kind of like me.He is always so foolish and mischievous.

Anonymous said...

I am surprised that he was the brightest student in his class in high school but, almost everyone in college was better than him. I also think that it is rude what the girl had wrote because Mr. O'Dell had more than just that but to do a lot more things. If I were Mr. O'Dell I wouldn't even respond to her questions!!(I mean NEVER!!!!!!)

Anonymous said...

I don't think I will become a writer since I personally aren't a fan of writing stories. I still do enjoy reading stories. Scott O'Dell is one of my favorite authors since he describes even the smallest things. I think he became such a good writer because he has lots of experience in his life so he could relate his books to some of his memories.

Anonymous said...

I like the way that even though that girl sent a rude comment, Scott O'Dell didn't let that get to him. I was also surprised that Scott O'Dell
didn't graduate from college because
he has such good writing skills.

Anonymous said...

Whoa! I never knew Mr. O'Dell was a chain smoker and a typewriter. I was also surprised that Mr. O'Dell used his imagination to write books.

Anonymous said...

I think that I might want to be an author because I like making up stories and I like to read in whatever free time I have. I think that Scott O'Dell's books are very good because some of them have to do with a real experience.

Anonymous said...

I think when Mr. O'Dell writes books, he has a lot of patience and writes books about his past. But sometimes, Mr. O'Dell writes book that didn't come from memory. He gets ideas from reading history. He answers comments from children around the world, I think it is rude for children to write mean letters to Mr. O'Dell. He can't answer the letters that quick because he has to answer many letters. I think Mr. O'Dell is a good author.

Anonymous said...

I don't think I will be a writer but who knows? If I DO become a writer it will probably be on non fiction. To be a writer who writes about fiction I think you need a lot of creativity. I heard it takes a LONG time to write a book.
I think Scott O' Dell is a very creative writer! He wrote many awesome books like The Black Pearl and of course Island of the Blue Dolphin. He describes words in the book as if you feel if you are there!

Anonymous said...

I thought that it was very interesting that he didn't finish school and yet became a great author. He is a great author and I really like his book Island of the blue Dolphin.

Anonymous said...

I am amazed that Mr. O'dell really joined the army when he was 20 and was still alive to get to make amazing books.

Anonymous said...

I think Scott O'Dell is a talented author because he has wrote so many good books. There is one things that surprised me. The first one is when Scott O'Dell was a very smart kid from elementary school to high school but he got to college, most of the people were smarter than him.

Anonymous said...

I was astonished to find that Scott O'Dell didn't finish college. I thought that to be a good writer you should have finished college. Maybe he was just creative.

Anonymous said...

I have not thought of becoming a writer one day when I when I grow up.
I was surprised that Scott O'Dell didn't finish is college.His books are really good to read and joyful.

Anonymous said...

I thought Scott O' Dell has a very interesting life, but was very surprised about what they said that he did not finish college because he writes tons of fun exciting books.

Anonymous said...

I was puzzled about what they said about a typewriter being part of the addiction in smoking. I do not understand how.

Anonymous said...

I was very surprised that Scott O'Dell was the brightest student when he was in high school ,but when he was in collage he wasn't.
Also, he didn't even finish collage.

Anonymous said...

I have not thought of becoming a writer one day when I grow up. I have not wondered what it takes to become one because I think it takes a lot of practice. I was really surprised that Scott O'Dell did not finish college . His story was quite amazing but the girl that send him many questions then send him another letter that said if he did not write back in five days she would write to another author and she said she likes that author better.

Anonymous said...

i think Scott O'Dell's book is a good book because it is so cool how Karana was able to live on a island by herself. Some kids might think that the book is boring because it is not magical.


- Rebecca

Anonymous said...

I was surprised when I found that Scott O'Dell had based the story on the days when he was small. I did not know that. I was also confused when he talked about a typewriter being an addiction to smoking. I was also surprised when he said he didn't know how to study.

Anonymous said...

I never really wondered what you need to become a writer because I never really wanted to be a writer. It suprised me that the girl from Minnesota was so rude to Scott O'Dell, and that he was a chain smoker.